On loan to the Elizabethan Railway Society, Radford Mill depicts part of the ex LNWR main line in North Yorkshire during LMS ownership in the late 1930’s.
The layout is a continuous run of Up and Down mainlines with an additional Up goods loop. The station itself consists of a single island platform between the Up and Down lines which is served by local stopping trains. The station is also the interchange for the local branchline to Worsthorne. The station has a small goods yard and factory siding and also exchange sidings for the short branch line to the nearby colliery. Adjacent to the station is a large four road engine shed with associated turntable and coaling facilities. This shed acts as an overflow for other local sheds and can contain a variety of motive power from top link express engines to the humble tank engine and everything in between.
Radford Mill itself is a medium sized mill and mining town and both local industries are depicted on the back scene. There is still work to do on the layout and the next phases of construction will be to make the signals work and to extend the layout by another eight feet to add more siding and a river under the railway with the actual Radford Mill building alongside.
This layout is dedicated to its builder, the late Pete Wright, and to a subsequent co-owner, the late Len Radford, both of whom were heavily involved in the Elizabethan Railway Society.
This layout is available for exhibitions.